Provincial AIDS Action Commmittee
The Provincilal AIDS Action Commitee ( PAAC) operates as a subcommittee of the Provincial Development Commitee (PDC) which is chaired by the provincial administrator or his /her representative and is answerable we to the provincial council.
1. PAAC Mandate
The PAAC is a multi-sectoral committee mandated to mobilize, coordinate and monitor the multi-sectoral and community response initiatives on HIV/AIDS in the province.
2. Responsibilities of the PAAC
The PAAC shall in collaboration with Distrcit AIDS Coordinators and stakeholders with the province be responsible for the following;
- Enlisting, coordinating, monitoring and evaluation of the provincial multi-sectoral response to HIV and AIDS.
- Coordinate and monitor the provincial planning process on HIV and AIDS.
- Faciliating capacity strengthening for HIV and AIDS prevention, care and mitigation in the district.
- Promoting and support the intensification of community based HIV and AIDS interventions.
- Appraising and endorse project proposals for funding.
- Encouraging mainstreaming of HIV and AIDS issues into all social and development programmes in the district.
- Promoting resource mobilisation in support of district initiatives on HIV and AIDS as well as ensure transparency and accountability in the disbursement and utilization of funds earmarked for HIV andAIDS activities.
- Facilitating sharing of experiences and lessons learnt among stakeholders within and outside the district.
- Undertaking any function(s) that fall(s) within its mandate.
3. Composition of the Provincial AIDS Action Committee
The Provincial AIDS Action Committee shall consist of persons from the following sectors and anyone of them can be chosen as chairperson except for the Provincial AIDS Cordinator who is ex-offio and provides secretariat services to the committee.
- Provincial Administrator’s/ Resident Minister’s Offices
- Provincial Social Services Office
- Provincial Medical Office
- Ministry of Youth Development, Gender and Employment Creation
- Registered NGO Representative working in the area of HIV and AIDS in the province
- Representative of religious organizations
- Traditional leader
- Representative of people living with HIV and AIDS
- Youth representative
- Representative of the private sector
- Provincial AIDS Coordinator (EX officio)
- Ministry of Education
- Representative of Women and people living living disabilities
Ward AIDS Action Committee
Roles and tasks:
- Receives project proposals and work plans from villages
- Evaluates and adopts Village AIDS Action Committee project proposals
- Capacitate VAACs for effectiveness, efficiency and adequacy fro reporting
- Undertake community (social) mobilization and VAAC empowerment
- Prepare consolidated budgets and reports for submission to DAAC
Village AIDS Action Committee
Roles and tasks:
- Identify projects at village level that may be sponsored by the DAAC
- Identify beneficiaries and targets of the various HIV and AIDS interventions
- Maintain beneficiary registers
- Supervise and report on the activities of HIV and AIDS service providers to the WAAC
- Prepare project budgets for community, family and individual level interventions
- Prepare and maintain beneficiary /program registers
- Send project proposals and related information to the WAAC